Monday, November 25, 2013

Speech

Speech 


"They are speaking, like you and me, to fill a void, to pass the hours, to assert their identities, to pretend that they’re truly connected to someone, anyone else. Making noise is what they do to keep out the silence that’s waiting to step in and devour them. Of course, they like to hear themselves talk. It’s how they make sure they’re alive."


They speak, but they don't care if we hear them, let alone understand them. Noise is the essence, not the understanding. They gave up on understanding a long time ago. To live is to engage forever in a battle with silence. 


I know about their speech and the noise they make. I am a writer, don't you see? I write to connect myself with myself, to make noise and music with my words, to dance on the precipice of the abyss while wrestling with existential questions. I am happiest when I write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment