Monday, November 11, 2013

Sequel to "I write therefore I am"

Thank you for your responses. 

None of your ever-changing quotes and positions and words bothered me because I know you were searching, just like I did and still am doing. To write is to search for an answer. This had nothing to do with you. It had to do with a bitch who was very stuck up with herself. She was quite an achiever, but there are tens of millions of people in this world, who are like her. She is nobody special, whereas I am. Let me ask you a question (and you may reply or you may not; it does not really make any difference to me) about my self-assessment, and please advise me if my self-assessment is on target or it is just an indication of wanton hubris. How many people you know personally can express themselves, in English, both creatively and critically (i.e., via poetry and essays) as beautifully as I do. And then it's too bad if you are not a native speaker of Vietnamese, otherwise you would realize that on this entire planet, there are probably no more than five or six Vietnamese who can render Vietnamese poems into English as well as I do. The reason I post my translations as well as my own poems in English on the Net is to challenge and to find out if there is any Vietnamese out there whose feel for both Vietnamese and English is on the same level as mine. So far I have not found any, but that does not mean there is none. I put the number five or six as closely to the probability as I think it is, based on the attempts of some Vietnamese who have tried to express themselves in English in verse on the Net. Let me tell you, the attempts have been elementary and stilted and occasionally laughable. Their lines rhyme, but poetry is much more than rhyme. It's, more importantly, the music and the rhythm that accompany the use of words in a striking, memorable manner. Poetry is art. The poet must be an artist with words. I am such an artist, whereas those I have read so far on the Net are not. They don't even have a feel for English yet. To know a language well, it takes a lifetime of dedication. I sometimes wonder where I would be with English if I am not squandering my time on learning other languages, on poker, on arguing, on getting ticked off, etc...

Don't you worry. I am a poet. I take a lot of poetic license in what I write. You may or may not read yourself in what I write. But don't flatter yourself too much. I have a rich imagination. And unlike you, I do believe in the story of Romeo and Juliet, in being swept off my feet in chance encounters, in living in dreams and fantasies. I don't really like realists. To me, they are not quite developed as they think they are. All true thinkers and fine artists are dreamers and have a very high opinion of themselves, otherwise they would not be such true thinkers and fine artists. 

We remain, always, as friends and brothers and sisters. Viva amistad! I do take all your heartfelt advice and comments under advisement. 

Wissai

No comments:

Post a Comment