Friday, November 22, 2013

Omar, Who Art Thou?

Omar, Who Art Thou?

I called Omar up and told him that several readers of mine had expressed an opinion that the dude named Omar Sabat, living deep in the interior of Texas, was a very interesting, charming, even admirable character,  and wondered if he was for real. Omar chuckled and said, 

-I must give it to you. You gave me a much larger than life picture. Just tell your readers that I am your friend, and a 30-year-old thoroughly assimilated, third-generation Hispanic math teacher. I am lonely and don't even have a girl-friend, unlike you. I don't have your looks, your physique, your gift of gab, your charm. 
-You forgot something vital.
-What's that?
-That you are a caring teacher and one of the finest Christians I know.
-Thanks, Roberto. I thought you meant I had forgotten to say one more nice thing about you. Unlike you, I am not into self-advertisement and flights of fancy. I am not an assassin, that's for sure. I don't believe in killing, especially for hire. The idea is totally repugnant to me, but apparently very appealing to you. Sometimes I just don't understand you.
-Don't worry about that. I don't even understand myself most of the time. When are you flying up here to see me?
-Next June, when school is out. 
-See you then, adios, mi querido amiguito.
-See you. Say hello to all your novias for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment