Sunday, February 28, 2010

Power and Acting Officious

Recently I got into an accident. I rear-ended a vehicle. I could not stop in time due to my carelessness. I was distracted. What interested me was the putting on air by the cop who arrived at the scene to write an accident report. The manner he got out of his car and his way of asking me questions triggered a lot of suppressed anger inside me when I see humans act on an officious manner and authoritarian fashion when a situation gives them the opportunity to put on those airs. Instead of being unassuming and polite and pleasant, those assholes can't resist the temptation of "power". They would puff and inflate their chests and start talking in the voice of "authority". And do you know what when that happens? I have an instant desire to put them in their place, but I wouldn't because it is not the smart thing to do. I would hurt myself further. So, I have to suppress my desire. I would then have to remind myself not to act like them should similar situations arise in the future and I find myself in the driver's seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment