Thursday, February 25, 2010

Humans are Animals that Want to Know

Aristotle, you know who Aristotle was, don't you? once said that humans were animals that wanted to know. His statement was not quite complete. He could have added that humans were animals that were restless, dissatisfied, and desirous not only to actualize his potential, but to go beyond his apparent physical limitations. Sadly, many humans live lives not differently from those of animals, but they would be very indignant and be foaming up at the mouths and be jumping up and down like the damned chimpanzees if they are told that they are exhibiting behavior no different from from that of their simian cousins. Let me substantiate, support, bolster, back up, give credence to my statement. You can rest assured that I will do that. I am one of the most intellectually honest you ever meet in your miserable life.

1. They only live in accordance with their biological imperatives: food, sex, shelter, and maybe caring for their offspring.
2. They are concerned with status and (political) alliance for survival purposes. Their preoccupation is survival, survival, and survival. Their own survival and maybe that of their immediate families. They don't give a fuck about anybody else, let alone abstract notions such as patriotism and moral responsibility, but they will put on masks of decency, courtesy, and civility to cover up their selfish, beastly hehavior.
3. They don't cultivate the very qualities that differentiate humans from lower forms of life: the arts, the intense curiosity that wants to know everything around us, the love for others besides ourselves and members of our immediate families, the awareness and consciousness to discharge duties of patriotism, protection, and preservation of the tribe.
4. They don't marvel at and reflect deeply on the achievements of the Olympians, the Yogis, and meditation masters who seem to push back the frontiers of human limitations. Likewise, they never stop and think that humans now fly, dive, run, see, hear, smell far better than any organism on this planet thanks to his imagination. Man is limited only by the limitations of his imagination.

Unlike those human animals I denounced above, I never feel a need to loudly protest, holler, scream with indignation if I am accused of being animalistic because I am conscious of my animal heritage and sometimes I don't manage to transcend the heritage. I mean sometimes I am vengeful, angry, and profane. But compared to them, I am far less an animal and far more a human than they ever can be. Reasons: I am artistic, in tune with my body and my mind, honest, loving to and protective of my kind, restless in acquiring knowledge, fascinated with language and languages. Let me tell you, I am quite fucking special. It's unlikely you will ever meet somebody quite like me even if you live to a ripe old age of 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment