Saturday, May 10, 2014

Apology

Apology

I know not all apologies are heart-felt. Some are Machiavellian in nature. Still, all apologies are good and smart. But why do some assholes never apologize? Is it because they are too dumb, too arrogant, or both? 

I am dumb and I am arrogant, but I still apologize like crazy when I realize I am in the wrong because deep down I respect facts, truths, logic, and justice. I could be blind about myself but I think I am capable of objective self-assessment. Recently a friend of mine apologized to me after making several outrageous statements and acting quite childishly and self-importantly. His apology showed that he was still capable of rational thinking, despite being quite far gone in alcohol addiction. I remain to be his friend because of his apology. I forgave him and I am prepared to forgive him again and again. I think alcohol helps him to be assertive and feeds a much needed self-perception that he is somebody. We all need a boost to our ego now and then. Regrettably, most of us get ego boosting via "wrong" or "fallacious" ways. Truth is at once simple and complex. All it takes is an ability to accept pain and to reason. Open our heart first and then our mind. That's how we will get to truths. We must not be too quick to defend our fragile, brittle ego. If our ego is strong and healthy, pains would never kill it. A good, strong, healthy ego can deal with falsehoods, lies, and calumnies. In fact, it would smile at attempts by fools to injure it. And it would serenely move on in its path to peace and wisdom.

The world would be a better place if more humans are quick to say they are sorry and ask for forgiveness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment