Thursday, March 24, 2011

Self-Image versus Regard of Others

allded to Albert Camus and Viktor Frankl in one of my previous emails about suicide. I just looked up Frankl in Wikipedia. I was glad my recollection of the main views of Frankl was not far from the mark. I read Frankl more than 30 years ago. Suicide is not a foreign subject to me. I have read and thought about the subject for a long time. When I write about anything, I usually know what I am talking about. I don't just pontificate. I write from the heart and from the wellsprings of my stored knowledge.

I have an audacity and arrogance to think that I have built upon my formal education a serious pursuit of knowledge and critical thinking. I do read quite extensively and thus command a much wider knowledge than most fools ever dream of. Thus, I cannot help but evince an ill-disguised and vexing contempt for ignoramuses and cowards.

I am a person of my word:

My translation of the recent poem by Baudelaire proved that I do know French quite well (several of my ex-girlfriends as well as my wife were graduates of the lycee Marie Curie) and my translation was far better than the other three translations of the native speakers of English that came to my attention.

My continued and vociferous opposition to the Vietcong has proven that I am not a feckless, cowardly person. What has bothered me about certain individuals is that they are cowards but ironically love power, thus they are the objects of my deep contempt. They think just because they have university degrees, they are educated. To me, they are nothing but a bunch of ignoramuses, based from the way they express themselves. They know very little outside their fields of study and their chosen careers whereas I am a rare bird: a true critical thinker. My lofty self-image has led me to take on anybody who wishes to debate with me because I don't think not many humans are up to the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment