Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Good Man Is Hard to Find

This widely anthologized story by Flannery O'Connor never tires of me, nor I of it. We are made for each other. I just read it again. The impact, the effect, the eerie haunting silence the story cast over me is as fresh now as many times before. The title has been disrespectfully parodied by insensitive clods as "A Hard Man is Good to Find".

I strongly urge you to read it. You will find it very modern and timeless and enduring. It will be read hundreds and thousands of years from now, especially if Christianity is still around then. Despite its seemingly grosteque and horrific violence, it is a very moral story, as much as, if not much more than, Pulp Fiction is a moral movie and a love story told from various angles in spite of its graphic violence.

Reading it helps me understand many events and interesting people, namely the unspeakable "life-like" horrific dreams I have had, the pending demise of Gaddafi, the indefatigable do-gooder Hung Cao, the weird, strange, odd cast of various characters I have met. Most importantly, I think, the story has helped me face reality and has prepared me to accept my moments of grace, even in defeats and failures, whenever they occur.

Wissai

No comments:

Post a Comment