Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crossan's views of Jesus

A friend forward a kink to the article on a Sunday (which interestingly and literally means day of the sun in German and Chinese, but somehow gets translated into Vietnamese as day of the (Christian) Lord, to the offense of non-Christians). I share 100% of Crossan's views. Such views are the views of any sensible, intelligent, and logical-minded human.

Jesus was an inspiring figure in his own right because of his behavioral examples. Any doctrinaire and dogmatic and unscientific and illogical injections and interpretations into his life would ironically cheapen him, not elevate him.

I have made many errors in my life, mostly because of greed and pride and hate, but in me the spark of basic decency and fairness and the respect for truth keep drawing me back on the path of repentance and self-improvement.

Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad interest me. As do other interesting humans who show brilliance and extremism (in either good or bad direction) or capacity for true love.

In some ways, I'm self-absorbed, but overall I would say I am a hunter of love and truth. I used to detest hypocrites. Now I am learning to feel sorry for them since they don't really have inner peace. A life of lies and acting can't be a peaceful life and full of self-respect.

The response of each individual human to the call of relief fund to the victims of the recent earthquake in Christchurch, Zealand, as well as to the call of resisting China's ongoing take-over of Vietnam would speak clearly to him how he views the intertwined issues of fairness, responsibility, gratitude, sharing, sacrifice, and love.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/02/27/Jesus.scholar/index.html?iref=NS1

No comments:

Post a Comment