Monday, March 1, 2010

Why am I an annoyance?

Unlike my brother who dared write in his autobiography with chapters graced with outrageous headings such as "Why Am I so clever?", "Why Am I so wise" (or something like that, I don't remember exactly anymore. It's still a miracle I am still able to command words to express my thoughts, despite the relentless march of Alzheimer), "Why did I write such good books", etc..., I am only comfortable with the above "Why Am I an Annoyance?"

I am a mind gadfly. I annoy people on purpose. I force them to confront their phoniness, cowardice, easy assumptions about God, religion, politics, and life. I make them to own up to their feelings of inadequacy. I urge them to grow and join me in the path I am travelling. I hate easy, polite conversations that skirt around issues and get nowhere. My time on this planet is precious. I don't wish to waste it in emptiness and avoidance. I don't want to live a life of quiet acceptance and surrender to circumstances. I want to get to know the real persons with whom I am holding a conversation. I want to compare myself with them. I want to learn from them to see if they have anything to offer other than superficial politeness and cheap, ready-made smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment