Thursday, March 4, 2010

Instinct and related topics

Ideas:

-Man suppresses instinct, ironically becomes an animal.
-Effective communication
-Moderation vs extremism
-why I viewed Hitler evil?
-What is evil? What causes it?
-What is Love? Why some persons don't have it?
-Emotional Growth vs stagnation

Some human behavior are based on instincts and geared for naked survival of the individuals and of the species. Some are learned which are said to make humans different and supposedly better than lower forms of life: the arts, the thirst for knowledge, morality, the beliefs in "higher" power. Not all humans exhibit the learned behavior; thus those who manifest a deficiency of learned behavior are looked down upon and assumed to be stupid, stolid, insensitive, or even animalistic. Of course to be called an animal is to suffer an indignity and usually makes the person on the receiving end very angry and wants to retaliate either by force or by returning the same insult to his accuser. That usually makes the scene of acrimony has an added dimension of hilarity due to presence of the elements of self-righteousness and lack of self-control of the parties involved. The first element is distinctly human while lack of self-control is definitely an impairment of the function of frontal lobes, thus rendering a person a slave of his emotions and an animal by implication. Are you with me, so far?

The reason for the above turgid prose is that, unlike most humans. I am more amused than antagonistic when accused of being animalistic ( you get the drift of alliteration? oh come on, don't make me do all the work now!) because I sometimes do behave like an animal, because sometimes I let emotions get the better of me. That's a fact and it's nothing for me to proud of. But unlike most human animals, I am very honest with myself and don't suffer from any self-deception. Let me tell you, I am quite fucking unique, one of the rarest creatures that ever walked down the turnpike. Besides acting like an animal due to my failure to have a tight rein over my emotions, I strangely can reason cogently, write poetry in four languages, appreciate the arts, and have boundless capacity for love for all living things. But enough talking about me. Let's talk about you. So, what do you think of me, so far?

(cont.)

No comments:

Post a Comment