Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Unintended Pomposity

I read an unnecesarily long-winded mini-lecture on how to live by a poet who obviously takes himself very seriously. By expanding his statement into a mini essay on how to live, he came across unwittingly self-righteous and all-knowing, contrary to the very spirit he was exhorting others to adopt. Nobody is reallly that stupid and blithely unself-aware as portrayed by the poet, not the type that frequents the website the poet administers.


Prior to reading the above-mentioned lecture, I had come cross a refefence to how the Iroquois warriors of yore gave themselves visions by fasting. The reference resonated deeply with me as several acquaintances and friends had commented that I looked pale and gaunt and intense and obsessed. They all said, Roberto, whatever it is going on, I hope it's worth it. To that, I gravely nodded my head and waved at them the book I was carrying with me. The book bore the title "In the Garden of the North American Martyrs".

I am not at all sure if I have within the conviction and courage to be the martyr. I never regarded myself as the martyr material anyway. i just spoke extemporaneously. I extemporized, consequences be damned. All I remember these days are the soft, barely audible words of Mary, the freshly unemployed college professor who auditioned for a teaching job at a small liberal arts college out East, at the end of her extemporaneous speech on the "martial" spirit of the Iroquois:

"Mend your lives. You have deceived yourselves in the pride of your hearts and the strength of your arms.Though you soar aloft like an eagle, though your nest is set among the stars, thence I will bring you down, says the Lord. Turn the power to love. Be kind. Do justice. Walk humbly. "

I wish she had added, "Speak the truth. Don't lie. Don't be so impressed with yourself."

Wissai
March 27, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment