Friday, March 22, 2013

Death, Love, and Enlightenment


They say Death is an equalizer. It's not so much how we die as how we live. Your concubine's sister is a miser and she's dying a horror-filled death. You have personally witnessed many human deaths up close and personal. All of those people vainly tried to fight the invincible General Omni F. (stands for Final, not Fucking) Death. The General mowed all of them down despite their and their loved ones' cries and entreaties. He had an impassive and bored look on his face. He couldn't be placated.

Death is a finality and an equalizer
Whereas Love is seldom between equals and is never a finality.
Once the heart is really moved, it knows no boundary;
Recognizes no limits on space, no limitations on time.

Yes, though I no longer love you
The feeling, the sensation of knowing of what love is
Stays with me until the time for me to die
There were so many times I cried
For what I knew to be peace and bliss
To know you and then to love you
Helped me find out who I really am
Of course after you went away I am no longer the same
Now I think I am wiser and recognize
Love for what it really is
In its essence love is nothing but a game
Played with words, sighs, and lies
The winner is the one who is a cynic
A sentimental guy like me would only get sick
And tries to heal himself through words of poetry

You must understand that it's not easy to write poetry. To express the inexpressible, the poet falls back on poetic license where literary conceits (look up a big dictionary for meanings of "conceits" other than "arrogance"), exaggerations, and rhyme scheme influence his choice of words. Love is, of course, not a game as commonly understood. To understand me, you must go beyond words, beyond silence, beyond almost everything, except life itself. I am like life with all of its myriad manifestations and seeming contradictions. I am more than what it meets the eye. Everybody sees themselves in PART of me. Of course, they think they understand me but the reality is they are subsumed within me.

Further, you need to digest Chapter 76 of Lankavatara Sutra where the distinction and link between meaning and language is discussed. A very profound and subtle distinction. It is all linked to the insight that truth is ineffable:

"Fools say that words and meaning are not separate. These benighted fools do not understand the nature of words. Words come and go. Meaning does not. Words are subject to birth and death. Meaning is not."

Words, like the boat used in crossing the river of ignorance, are only the tool and not the objective itself. Once you reach the shore of understanding, you don't need the boat anymore. You discard the boat. You don't carry the boat on your head once you already get to the shore of the only river of ignorance on the planet of illusions and delusions. Similarly you need words of teaching to get the meaning of life. Once you understand the meaning, you don't need the words anymore. All the religious fools have an error in having the attachment to words (read: scriptures, Bible, Koran, Talmud, etc...). Form is for fools. Wise men go for the essence.

I am closest to understanding than most humans you know. All my actions and words are manifestations of excess which I use in understanding essence, hence attaining freedom and liberation. I only learn via excess. People look at my flirtation with excess and mistakenly believe that excess is me. Little do they know I use excess as a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment