Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Knowledge, Speculation, and Interest

Today I was bemused and amused by a post on the Internet about the end of the universe. Frankly, who would give a rat's ass about that when "learning" that the event would happen in 3.7 billion years time? Tell me, really, do you? Not me. What we should be concerned is the fate of our planet earth with all the pollution and global warming and wars and pestilence and hunger and ignorance and arrogance and blithe dismisal of others not as being "smart" or "informed" as we are. As Vietnamese we should be vitally concerned how to resist China's effort to take over Vietnam. I don't see such concern shown at all. Instead, I have seen stupid and innate postings about trivialites and stupid jokes and nude photos of men and women. That leads to my favorite topic: contempt. Humans enjoy having a game of mutual contempt. We look down upon others in order to feel good about ourselves. We can always find somebody who is more stupid and ignorant and clumsy than we are. I expressed all these thoughts to a fellow and I was once bemused and amused by his reactions to my thoughts. That showed me that beneath the thin veneer of culture and respectability lies the sorry state of raw animalism. I looked at his raw red animalism which was pulsating with anger. I shook my head in disgust and pity and I walked away, reminding myself that I have to keep my own animalism in check and in the dark. To show it in broad daylight is a violation of my new mantra "Grace under Pressure". To show contempt for others in a crude, animalistic manner is to bring own contempt to ourselves.

There are many ways for humans to express displeasure and contempt. Publicly and directly using words involving sex acts does not befit educated people like as we are not scums of society nor are we hoodlums and hooligans. We also should remember that any piece of writing either coming from our own brains or somebody else's, posted on the Internet is fair game for comments. If we are of a constitution that we cannot take nor face comments, we are much better off not posting it in the first place. As always, I welcome any comment on any piece that I posted. As you all already realize, a preponderance of my posts are products of my own mind, not a cut and paste of somebody else's thoughts and ideas. I promise not to stoop down to the level where I have to resort to gutter language of obscenity and profanity to express my disagreement and displeasure of your comments of what I wrote. I have more than enough words in my arsenal to express my distaste and displeasure in a civilized manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment