Saturday, January 17, 2015

Singularity and Truth

Singularity and Truth

Truths only come to those who are ready AND strong enough for them. Take a look around and see how many of those people you know are able to handle truths. Take a look of yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you can handle and live with truths or you, alas, have lived with lies and delusions all your life. 

We can pretty much tell who a person is by the way he dresses, eats, drinks, handles money, and speaks about himself and others. Life is a tension between Self and Other, Lies and Truths, Pain and Pleasure. You don't really know who and what you are made of unless and until you interact with other humans. We learn by compare and contrast, not by self-projection. The Other does not think like we do. I know it's hard to accept that, but Man is a strange and complex animal. Not two humans are exactly alike because of differences in intelligence, knowledge, and life experiences. 

Unless you are truly bilingual, you would not really understand the marvels of Language and the human brain. To see a bilingual person in action is to see how compartmentalization works. Vladimir Nabokov, because of privileged background, was more than bilingual. Still, to me and many others, it is an awesome pleasure to see how he expressed himself in English, an accomplishment that few, if any, native speakers of English could do. The suppleness, the ease, and the rich vocabulary, not counting the poetic quality, of his English are mind-boggling. Anyway, nowadays any time I open my mouth or reach for a pen, I ask myself, what language I should opt for, my native Vietnamese or the acquired English that I am in love with? For years I refused to think and write in Vietnamese because I didn't want that process to interfere with my acquisition of English and others. 

To speak and write in a language is to engage in a solo act of dancing. How we move, the choice of our attire, in absolute silence or in the accompaniment of music tell the world who we are. We are nothing but our words and our actions. That's how we communicate/advertise our essence. We are nothing but gestures. 

Wissai

No comments:

Post a Comment