Saturday, December 24, 2016

Spanish

In Spanish, if you have an indirect or direct object that isn’t a noun, you have to have a pronoun. In the case of indirect objects, you always need a pronoun and you can always expand on it by using a prepositional phrase (a + noun). Hablo a él would be grammatically incorrect if you mean to say “I am talking to him”. Keep in mind that “a” can be used after a verb to mean in order to. In that case, you don’t have an indirect object but you would follow it with an infinitive. For the type of situation you are thinking about here, yes, you always need an indirect object pronoun. For direct objects, you normally wouldn’t use “a” after the verb unless the direct object noun is a person. In that case, you use the “a personal” but not a direct object pronoun. Veo a mi hermano todos los días: I see my brother every day. But, veo el carro todos los días: I see the car every day (no “a personal”).

Peter J. Wright
Peter J. Wright, Spanish is the seventh language tthat I have taught myself out of a total of 13.

“Yo le hablo” when no emphasis is needed. “Le hablo a él” when emphasis is needed (as in “I'm talking to him [not to her]).

But “le” in this context is not really an indirect object, just a sort of dative, used with certain verbs, such as “ayudar” (“help”) and “decir” (“to say, tell”). In Greek, these verbs also take a sort of dative.

As true indirect object would be present in a sentence such as “Se lo dí ayer” (“I gave it to him/heryesterday”), the “se” representing the indirect object pronoun “le” when combined with a direct object pronoun, such as “lo” and “la”.

In Spain, many people use the pronouns “lo, la and le” incorrectly, saying “yo le vi ayer” instead of the correct form “yo lo vi ayer” (“I saw him yesterday”). The incorrect usage of pronouns is known as “leísmo.” “Le” would be correct if someone were to say “Yo le vi la cara ayer,” (“I saw his face yesterday” [literally “I saw the face to him”]) since “la cara” is the direct object and “le” is the indirect object.

Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment