Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What's Life

What's Life?


A friend asked me about the death of a photo journalist who was beheaded by the ISIS. Here was my answer. It had little to do with the initial inquiry. As usual, I went off the tangent.


Life is not how long you live it but how intensely you savor it. Many human animals long for death's arrival so they can be relieved of boredom and misery. Don't feel sorry for the photojournalist. His death was not in vain. It would hasten the demise of ISIS. 


I have lived life to the fullest that I know how, to the utmost of my abilities. I have stared into the abyss of life and I have not yielded to the temptation to jump. I have known poverty, wealth, frontiers-bursting sex, good food, exotic love, kindness, evil, and the highs of literature and knowledge. And I know I am superior to most humans that I have met, for I have emotional and intellectual honesty and courage. Unlike them, I never pretend who I am not. Unlike them, I don't hanker after fame or power. If anything, I want to master myself, to drive me to greater heights. Each day, for me, must be greater than the day before because I have gained experience. My life is a sum of my experiences and choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment