Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Hard Man Is Good to Find

A Hard Man Is Good to Find. 

I've read Flannery O'Connor's story "A Good Man is Hard to Find" a million times. I just read it again. I read it like a poor devout, not so bright, God-fearing Southern sharecropper of yore who was lucky to be taught how to read. So he would read the Bible twice a day, before he went to bed, and right after he woke up. He had read it for so long that he remembered all the passages, from both the Old and New Statement. He also attended churches. He listened attentively to the sermons. He even went to Bible Studies classes. He asked questions. And he took all the answers to heart. I imagined that every day, especially at bedtime, as he read his favorite passages, his heartbeat slowed down and he believed that he was in communion with God because he was told the Bible was God's words. Right before he fell asleep, he placed the Bible down on his bedside table and shortly thereafter he slept soundly, like a baby, confident that God loved and protected him. The sharecropper lived until 103. He was found dead in bed with the Bible lying next to him. The book was open. The man was reading Ecclesiastes.

I know I am an atheist, but I always respect and love those who take their religion seriously to the point they are transformed by their beliefs and become good, moralistic, compassionate humans. I know, to some humans, religion is good and a transforming force. 

FO's story has been considered a masterpiece, widely anthologized and taught in college classes. It is ambiguous morally and full of ultra violence. I read it and re-read it for the morals, not the violence even though I am a person capable of violence. I read it and re-read it so I can come to terms with who I am, and with the self-righteous liars and the evils in this world. 

Many people, including my wife, have told me that I have artistic sensibilities. They have told me that I am not evil, that I am honest, fair-minded and not a control freak, that I am kind and there's so much good inside me. While it is pleasant to my soul to hear all those affirmations and validations, I suppose I am drawn to the story because I don't want to be like Mr. Misfit in the story. Also, I suppose I want to save my soul and my life. 

Life is the sum of our experiences. Life is also the sum of our choices. Human is an intelligent animal who knows, to a very large extent, that he is morally free in making choices, that he does not have to be a slave of his environment. That was why even in the degrading extreme environment of Nazi concentration camps, there were some individuals who refused to give in to evils. They chose human dignity and self-respect to survival. Jehovah's Witnesses, generally speaking, were such individuals. While almost all other individuals lied, stole, kissed asses, and did whatever shameful acts so they could live another day, the Jehovah's Witnesses clung to the values taught by their beliefs. Their religion did them good. In Las Vegas, traditionally, employers look for applicants with Mormon faith because the Mormons, no matter how ridiculous the doctrines of their religion are, are upright and honest and helpful. Their religion have done them good. That's why their church is growing. However, they are having problems with their doctrines from within from inquiring minds. For a self-proclaimed atheist, I have an abiding interest in religious matters. Those who know me well, and they are all women, have remarked that I am a religious person, deep down.

Even in ordinary, non-extreme circumstances, there are human animals who feel they must win at all costs. So they lie, make up stories about themselves and others, so they would look good and honorable. There are assholes and scumbags who would blithely and gratuitously dish out insults to others, but could not take any insults in return. I call these animals cowardly. Cowardice has at least two manifestations: physical and moral. From my perspective, social etiquette and political correctness don't mean shit if a person behaves less than a subhuman, if an individual does not respect facts and truths, if a man has no real self-respect and true pride. If we decide to, if we choose to badmouth others, our character assassination has to base on facts and logic, not on lies and sophistry. Anybody who cannot handle facts and logic cannot deal with me. I am a hard man. I am hard on myself and on others. I am hard on facts and logic and fairness and truths and beauty. I am also hard on liars and cowards. To me, a hard man is good to find. A character (he and the grandmother are the two most complex and important characters in the story) called Mr. Misfit was a hard man. I am fascinated by him. His choice and worldview might be brutal, but they were bound by facts and logic. Yet, despite my recognition of a kindred spirit in Mr. Misfit, I refuse to conduct myself like him. There has to be a sense of fair play in everything we do. A punishment must be in proportion to the crime. And above all, our conduct must be surrounded and uplifted by grace. Mr. Misfit didn't have to kill the whole family, especially the grandmother who instinctively clung to life and begged and begged him for mercy. Yes, Grace is what distinguishes us from subhumans, sets apart gentlemen from brutes. There must be a sense of Beauty and Truth in what we do and what we say, besides just mere facts and logic. 

A final note: I think the title of the story should be as I suggested. It's more fitting, albeit jolting and amoral. 

I strongly urge you to read the story. It could change how you look at life and at yourself. There's wisdom in literature. 

Wissai
August 3, 2014
canngon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment