Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Coffee, Coke, Memory, and the Mind


They waxed poetic about coffee
Reminiscing about black and café au lait
Sipped in the ambience of love and romance
And how sugar melted and milk danced
In the ocean of coffee darkness 

I could not help but think about our times of happiness 
When we were young and green and freshly in love
And how we ate beef noodle soup
And drank coke in a restaurant's alcove.
The ice-cold coke had a sharp, biting hit on my tongue
Leaving me with an exquisite high
Which disappeared soon after you took off in flight.
I no longer drink coke, nor do I smoke. 
What I really want to do nowadays
Is to kill you, if not in person, then at least in my mind.

Wissai
June 12, 2013

P.S.

When your senses detect something in your environment, a signal goes to the thalamus for processing. From here, the signal splits into two pathways, one to the cortex and the other to the amygdala. The signal to the amygdala goes fast, while the one to the cortex takes a lot longer. As a result, the amygdala reacts long before the cortex does if the sensory info includes signs of danger. The amygdala does this by using memories and knowledge stored in the nearby hippocampus about what's harmful or dangerous. Moments later, the cortex adds more info about what the senses detected. 

Using the info, the reader would perhaps understand why I wrote the above poem the way I did. He would also understand how I approach writing. Simply put, my words are the adjunct of how I reacted to the stimuli, in a stylized, compensating manner.  


No comments:

Post a Comment