Sunday, January 1, 2012

Who are you, Roberto?

I just got off a long conversation with a friend. He pointed out that my so-called stories left much to be desired while my poems and essays were pretty good. He also noted that apparently I only wrote about love and violence. In reply, I said that I concurred with his assessment and that I was not really a writer of fiction. I merely wrote about the issues that preoccupied me, aesthetic and or redeeming, uplifting messages be damned. I wrote about love and violence because I was fishing, angling, hunting, searching for an answer. I like violence. I know about its function and role in life. I think I know about love, but I am not really sure anymore, despite having been married five times and having been in and out of love more than two dozen times. Almost everybody chuckled when I told them my name was Roberto Wissai. I lectured them with a straight face that it was rude to laugh at somebody's name, and what was so fucking funny about the name and sound of the words Roberto Wissai? I like the name and the way it sounds. Next time, if some asshole makes a snotty remark about my name, I hope I would be in some position of power and able to make him pay for his insolence.

I used not to be overly touchy and hypersensitive. I used to be calm, cool, collected, and reasonable kind of guy. Something happened to me way back when I finished college. Now I am plagued with a propensity for violence and a preternatural desire for love. Today is the first day of the year. If I am a sociable guy, I would call my friends up and say "Happy New Year". But I am not. I would rather read a book and be true to myself and others.

(to be continued)

1 comment:

  1. On Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 12:14:14 PM PST, wissai wrote:
    
    And now something far more poetic and creative from my first book Thus Spoke Wissai

    Poem 47: got to go

    i've got to go
    to Mexico
    i'm telling you
    i must go

    so, go
    why telling me so
    is there a reason
    i must know?

    yes, a man's waiting
    he wants to make me
    a lady of his house

    good, then you must go
    buy a nice dress
    get him a tie with a bow
    pack your bag
    and get on a plane
    but why there are tears
    in your eyes
    there's no smoke nearby

    because i can't go
    you're too much
    on my mind

    is that so?
    now tell me about
    this man in Mexico

    he's not much
    of a man
    he's short and ugly
    and looks like "un perrito"
    but he's got money

    what’s his name?

    victor

    hmm, sounds like a little dog
    i used to know

    roberto wissai
    may 2012


    On Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 12:39:38 PM PST, Nguyen Giao wrote:

    @ Tijuana , October 2015

    I ran into a little dog & asked
    " Isn't your name 'Victor' ? "

    " No , No , No , gringo ...
    Whoever told you that
    must have his/her ears
    full of Latino shit !
    'cause on my birth certificate :
    The name is 'Roberto' ;
    Don't you ever forget that ! "

    *
    Nhu+Toi
    Phó Chủ tịch Trung tâm Văn bút Nghệ An
    Đặc trách Thi đàn Cóc Chổng

    ReplyDelete