Sunday, April 17, 2016

Yaacov Noorrowitz

Regarding chess master and poker player Yaacov Norowitz


Humans fascinate me. I have deep ambivalence about them. Although I am of the same species as them, somehow over the years, I've grown detached from them  and viewed them as definitely very strange, deeply flawed, self-conflicting, and incredibly sick. 

In my vocation and avocation, I've met many humans from different ethnic and religious backgrounds. I've come to have a wariness, bordering on contempt for the Chinese and the Vietnamese for their general lack of manners, greediness, lies, and dog-eat-dog mentality while having a respect for the Germans and Japanese for their work ethic and rise from the ashes of WW II. 

With regard to the Jews (religious and cultural, and not really ethnic as commonly understood), my feelings are mixed. I don't like most of them for their stinginess and sense of superiority, but I have to admit to myself they are generally cunning, cohesive, artistic, and education-oriented. Yaacov Norowitz is a Jew of Eastern European descent. I recently met him. He impressed me for his manners. Most Jews have lousy manners and an instinctive, unfiltered hatred for the Arabs. 

Yaacov looked unimpressive: unkept, pudgy, and thick curly hair on a big head. He talked fast, but not much. I was the one who peppered and pestered him with questions. He is a high ranking chess master and teacher. Teaching chess is how he makes his living. He tries to supplement his income by playing poker. 

I am a lousy chess player and OK poker player. I'm never drawn to the game of chess as to poker. To me, chess is only a game of pure intellect, visualization, and mental and physical stamina whereas poker is the best card game ever invented by Man. Poker resembles Life. It is War in approximation. The loser loses not only money, respect (including self-respect), but also his life (a lot of losing players lead a suicidal form of lifestyle. Some actually kill themselves at the end, or die at the poker table by stress or by fellow players). It is not the game for the stupid and the faint-hearted. Unlike chess, to be a winner at poker, one must possess more than just intelligence and the desire to win. One must be a student of human nature and have courage, a fearlessness verging on insanity, with total disregard for money during the game. Top poker players are utterly fascinating and supremely self-confident; their faces all shine with intelligence. 

Yaacov specializes in blitz chess and apparently is good at it. He is not starving. He is not so good at poker. He takes unnecessary risks. He doesn't  understand the human mind well. A man's past behavior is not necessarily a prologue and harbinger to his current behavior. Humans change their behaviors depending on their fortunes and moods. Humans both crave for acceptance and independence. Humans are lying, insecure, vain, complex animals. To defeat them at poker, one must know their current financial circumstance and moods. Yaacov does not understand these aspects of poker yet.

Anyway, Yaacov and I talked and we had a rapport. I understood where he came from. He accepted my idiosyncrasies. Those who want to elevate their game of chess to a higher level may want to get to know Yaacov. He can be reached on the Net. I'm writing this piece as a favor to him, unasked. 

Wissai
4/17/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment