Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Comme Toi/Like Thee

Comme Toi/Like Thee

She was only nine
The same age as mine
Three years we were together 
Except during the long hot summers


She was the best in the class
She was truly a lovely lass
Clear, sparkling yes, nice smile, and long hair 
And I dreamed of her and I really cared

Her name was long
It had many letters
It made me feel strong
And wondrously tender

We met briefly, you and me
Then we met again and I was drowned in the sea
Of a crazy love for thee and I was not even eighteen
You looked so much like her, nine long years I hadn't seen

You had her eyes, smile, flowing long hair 
And a long name that drove me into a state of despair
My heart went wild with tormenting desires
My mind said, "I must put out this stupid fire!"

So, I ran away from you, knowing I meant nothing to you
I buried myself in books while my heart throbbed unsubdued
I learned French, a language I knew I must know
In order that I could live with a love I had to forgo

I learned to write and I learned to fight for a peace
That I must have in a world that I feel amiss
All because foolishly I had allowed you to set my heart on fire
I turned to books, poetry, and philosophy so my heart can turn to ice

Months rolled by and years came and went away
All sorts of women, lovers and friends, put my heart in further disarray
Where are you now, the girl in my dreams
As I thrash around in the twilight of my life, I want to scream


Wissai
December 3, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment