Monday, March 30, 2015

Meditation, Malady, and Mortality

Stream-of-Consciousness about meditation and malady and mortality

Man is a complex and complicated animal. His private self and public persona are often at odds. What he presents himself to the world is usually much better than his true self. He is into deception as well as preservation of his self-exalting ego. Take Thich Nhat Hanh (henceforth TNH), for example. He is a man of immense sensitivity and talents. A "religious" and meditation teacher, a poet, a writer, an entrepreneurial man of skills, TNH has gathered a large following and garnered fame and wealth, but he hurt himself by lying about the damages resulting from American bombing in the town of Bến Tre, by his stern and smug demeanor in gaudy costumes in public appearances, and his lack of peace despite his constant preaching about it (take my word for it. I just know certain things by just looking at a man's face and listening to his voice. So, don't try to lie to me). I have a feeling that deep down he is not an honest man.

I am not engaging in a campaign to besmirch TNH's reputation. There are many people who have done so. I don't know TNH personally and he doesn't know who I am. I'm merely taking him as a prime example of how the lack of honesty is imbedded in human behavior. There are many, many humans like TNH. 

All my life I have been concerned with honesty, dignity, and self-respect. I used to be coarse, uncouth, and crude. I am trying to be better. I was ashamed of some dishonorable acts of mine in my distant past, but I have always been an honest man. I respect facts and truths. I am into dignity and self-respect. I learn from those who are better than me. I am allergic to envy. There is no conflict between a private life and a public persona in me. What you see is what you get. I am not uncomfortable about who I am. I am different. I know that and you know that. 

Lately I have been thinking about what insights and thoughts that I have that hitherto were unknown to mankind. The answer is none. I have no originality in thinking. Nevertheless, I have condensed what I have learned through blood, sweat, and tears the following lessons:

1. Nobody loves the unlovable. If you want to be loved, you must make yourself lovable. It sounds simple and simplistic, but you will be surprised of how many people fail to grasp its truth, yours truly included until very recently.

2. Money is a good, reliable test of love and friendship. 

3. The less worthy a person is, the more desperate he is of being respected by others. So, don't laugh or mock at the stupid, the ignorant, the untalented who are trying very hard to be respected. 

4. If you are really loved by one person, you are very lucky. Despite trials and tribulations, I am proud to report that I have been loved by two or even three women. What can I say? I am a lovable guy. If you take the time to get to know me well, you will love me. That's just as simple as that. 

5. Now I have a malady and mortality is knocking on my door sooner than I expected, I am heavy into trance music, Kundalini Yoga/meditation, dieting, and running to cure myself. I am honestly feeling that although I am in danger zone, I will kick this malady out of the way and live to be until 99 years old and I will die in the arms of the two, maybe three, women who really love me. 

RHW (Roberto Hawk Wissai)
March 30, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment