Sunday, July 27, 2014

Mental Illness and Psychiatry

Preface:

The following were words previously used in an exchange with a nice, gentle, but touchy and overly defensive individual. Nobody is perfect, I know that. But I take pride in pursuing facts and truths to the bitter end. That's why I have nothing but contempt and bitterness for an unaccomplished and impecunious bitch who opened its mouth and barked intemperate and false characterization of me. But I have to admit that without that stupid and false characterization, I would not know its true character. 

My words below clearly demonstrate who I am and how I regard myself. Fuck, as Nietzsche himself said, "I am no mere man. I am a dynamite". The more I live and improve my mind, the more I realize most humans are cowardly and fearful of ugly truths about themselves. Not me. Not me. Never ever. Not in a million years.

1. If my intention was nitpicking about grammar and spelling, I would have a field day and come across completely obnoxious due to my obstreperous behavior. I routinely make those mistakes myself. Sorry if my words drove certain folks who are averse to facts and truths to the edge of uneasiness, but words relating to concepts are important and must be used with care. 

2. The distinction about a "mental disorder" having a medical, organic (brain) or behavioral root is important but not always recognized. 

2.a. If a mental disorder manifesting itself in socially unacceptable behaviors originates from the brain's disease or injury, then even a psychiatrist might not be of effective help. A neuro scientist should be consulted in this case.

2.b. If a mental disorder having behavioral roots (granted, there's a constant feedback back and forth between brain and behavior), then a question should be raised concerning if the manifested socially unacceptable behaviors come from the environment (being taught or exposed) or the individual himself has poor adaptive skills. Poor adaptive skills themselves derive from low intelligence, lack of awareness (including self-awareness) or failure to transcend common emotional and social afflictions that almost all humans fall prey to. These afflictions are but not restricted (not exhaustive of) to : ego, pride (not as bad as ego, and indeed can be beneficial if properly harnessed), greed, power, fame (desire to be approved and recognized), instant gratification (and its twin sister, unmet expectations), selfishness, vengeance, self-projection, displacement, and destruction (including self-destruction). Help can be sought from talk therapy (hence psychologists and psychotherapists) and examples set by more enlightened humans and teachers (hence the trend of flocking to "gurus" and "masters" who supposedly have answers as to why the affected individuals are not happy, dissatisfied, and have anti-social thoughts and even behaviors). Psychiatrists, if they are not sensitive, empathetic, and sympathetic, are not needed in this instance. The reason why affected individuals rush to (or are being rushed to) see psychiatrists is because psychiatrists have medical training and can prescribe drugs in addition to the unwarranted respect and trust the society has for psychiatrists. The recent books exposing the inadequacies of psychiatry and the reclassification of certain behavioral disorders (autism, Asperger's syndrome) should be a sobering reminder that blind faith in medical "knowledge" can be dangerous. 

3. Loneliness and aversion to facts and truths can be devastating if not properly addressed by the affected individuals. 
4. Psychiatrists are overrated and usually mis-employed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment