Monday, February 17, 2014

Book Chapter Four

Part Four: Poetry

Thus section is a compendium of poems written or translated by me that I deemed of value and attested to my claim that of all the Vietnamese that I personally know, none would come close to me in the handling of the English language in terms of poetic expressions. 

Rượu và Em

Em hỏi thật anh giữa em và rượu?
Thì anh ơi, anh sẽ chọn bên nào?  
Câu hỏi buồn nghe đơn giản làm sao!
Trong một phút anh đi vào bối rối.
Nếu chọn em nghĩa là anh nói dối!
Còn rượu ư? …Anh thấy thật sai lời.
Rượu và em là nắng rớt mưa rơi.
Mà mưa nắng suốt đời luôn tiếp nối,
Rượu trong chiều còn em thì trong tối
Rượu và em là gạch nối của đời anh
Nếu bây giờ em lại hỏi anh!!
Thì anh bảo em đừng cho anh ngốc nghếch
Nếu vì men lắm cuộc đời chấm hết!??
Thì trong yêu thiên hạ chết cũng nhiều
Rượu và em là hai nỗi nhớ đáng yêu!
Nếu được chết:
Anh sẽ chết một chiều bên em và có rượu.

(Khuyết danh)

Booze and You

Please tell me truly, between me and booze, 
Which one would you choose?

Your sad question is not simple as it sounds!
It sent me straight into a realm of quandary
If I say I chose you over booze, that means I just lied
But if I chose booze, that would go awry
Booze and you are like sunshine and rain
One follows the other without end
Booze is for the evening while you are for the night
Booze and you are the links of my life
So why you ask me I have to chose between you two 
Please don't take me for a fool
Yes, it's true one can die from too much booze
But haven't you heard love can be a snooze?
You and booze are the loves of my life
If I have to die,
I want to die in an evening full of booze and you 

Quick Translation by
Wissai
March 1, 2014

CHƯA PHAI


sáng nay tôi ngưng bước
không hẳn là bỏ cuộc
chỉ dừng lại thấy đau
và thấy mình chảy máu

sáng nay tôi đứng lại
hai chân chưa khuỵu ngã
thân hình dù buông thả
nhưng trụ cột vẫn là

sáng nay tôi nhắn khẽ
bạn đồng hành hãy nghe
nếu không thấy tôi về
xin đừng lo lắng nhé

sáng nay tôi tự hỏi
mình tiếp tục hay thôi 
cuộc hành trình chưa nối
sao đã vội buông trôi

sáng nay tôi gác bút
mực nước khô cầu vồng
thả chữ nghĩa long đong 
lúc hạ huyệt xuống dòng

sáng nay tôi ngoảnh mặt
chỉ thấy ánh phù sa
trên con sông xa lạ
một mình tôi chưa qua

tối nay thật chậm rãi
hãy ngủ trọn đêm dài
để nay mai bừng lại
thấy hồn mình chưa phai

Lưu Nguyễn Đạt
Đất Trinh, Feb. 24/27, 2014

NOT YET FADING AWAY

This morning I stopped marching
That didn't mean I had quit
I stopped because I felt pain 
And my blood had leaked

This morning I came to a stop
Although my body might be swaying
My feet were still firmly on the ground
And my spirit was unbowed

This morning I softly said
Oh comrades, please listen up
If you don't see me back
Have no worries 

This morning I wondered 
Whether I should continue 
The journey is not over
Why giving it up now

This morning I hung up my pen
The dried ink was like a rainbow
Where my words wandered
After I let them go

This morning I turned my head
All I saw was the light 
That reflected off the sites of sandy sediments
In an unfamiliar river that I haven't yet crossed 

This evening I'm taking a stroll
In an unbroken sleep through the night
So when dawn arrives 
My soul will not fade away

Translated by Wissai
Feb. 27, 2014

Fire In The Blood

Somebody told me
You're the lady with fire in the blood
And he meant not just the whiskey
What the man said was so right
One look at you unleashed the flood
Of emotions that I had bottled up inside

Tonight under the starry, starry sky
My mind keeps thinking about you
I'm wondering if my heart is being true
Or it's simply my imagination that's running wild 
At any rate, I'm letting you know
I just briefly met you 
But I can't get you out of my stupid mind

Feb. 28, 2014
Wissai
canngon.blogspot.com

Translation of Pham Cong Thien's famous poem, Stanza #8
The following poem, taken from "Ngay Sinh cua Ran" and named "Bat Nhi" (Not Two):



Mười năm qua gió thổi đồi tây

Tôi long đong theo bóng chim gầy

Một sớm em về ru giấc ngủ

Bông trời bay trắng cả rừng cây



Gió thổi đồi tây hay đồi đông

Hiu hắt quê hương bến cỏ hồng

Trong mơ em vẫn còn bên cửa

Tôi đứng trên đồi mây trổ bông



Gió thổi đồi thu qua đồi thông

Mưa hạ ly hương nước ngược dòng

Tôi đau trong tiếng gà xơ xác

Một sớm bông hồng nở cửa đông.


It's a perfect encapsulation of the inner conflict of the time - the strife between East and West, the unrelenting discord, and the gentle, hard-won denouement at the end. In poetry, there is resolution!"

Chung Nguyen, Umass-Boston

From "Serpent's Day of Birth"

Over my homeland gently blew the winds

For over ten years winds blew across the western hills
I struggled to follow a scrawny bird's flying shadow
One early morning you came back with a lullaby
White clouds hung low over the forest trees

Now across eastern and western hills the winds blow
Over the homeland's parched meadowlands down below
In my dreams you still stand at the door 
While I stand upon a hill amidst the blooming clouds

The winds blew across the hills of pine in the fall
I left the country in the summer rain, going against the flow
I was pained by the rooster's plaintive crow
A rose was blooming in early morn at the eastern door

Wissai/NKBa'

HỒN THƠ

ARS POETICA…between the dark and the void
Pablo Neruda

giửa bóng tối và hư vô bất tận
nửa tiết trinh và dư ảnh bình minh
ao ước nghẹn góc tâm linh chân tịnh 
khát khao chăng chỉ nhung nhớ ngàn năm

gương hoen tối mùi phong rêu trong trắng 
hoa không hoa gió trượt ngã lòng sa
thân ướp lạnh giường đêm xưa kê vắng
em không em mà tất cả đời ta

hồn thơ dại vụng về bên nắng mới
lời không lời mà sao mọc chơi vơi
ta hỏi lại em từ đâu bỗng tới
mà hồn nhiên đem tia sáng vào đời

lòng thế kỷ mong manh từng nguyện vọng 
mưa hơi mưa giọt đọng cuối triền miên
em quay lại đường về mây còn mỏng
nước còn đây chỉ vắng vợi người hiền

Lưu Nguyễn Đạt
Đất Trinh, March 19, 2013

Between the dark and the endless void
Exist half the virginity and the lingering dawn
The suffocating wish of a piece of the soul at peace
The yearning miss that is a thousand years old

Dark mirror and the musty smell of white moss
Winds slip and slide on flowers that look like no others
Refrigerated body lie in bed in a deserted night
You unlike others occupy my whole life

Crazy, clumsy lines of verse arrive in new sunshine
Words like no others rise like lost stars in the sky
I ask you again where you came from
And brought with you rays of sun into my life

My fragile desire that goes on for a century
Mists of rain condense into eternity
You turn back onto a road where clouds still not thick
Water is still here waiting for a kind-hearted soul

Translated by Wissai
March 20, 2013

(To be continued) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment