Monday, April 1, 2013

Revelation

Revelation

We all know what revelation is. When it hits, it hits with the force of a sledgehammer to the head, knocking you either dead or out. If you are lucky to survive the impact, you will wake up a changed man, mostly for the worse, unless the revelation is of the type I got, then you will be blessed.

You will enter a fierce isolation and irreversible solitude from which you respect taciturnity and laconicism, but that does not mean you would be busy spinning your cocoon. Rather, you become a man of few words because you now know the lethality of words. You are tired of living your life on clichés and self-caricature. You are sick of being a walking, talking pack of lies. In other words, you don't want any beef with anybody; you don't get emotionally riled up; you just want to be a vegetarian and you get fresher under pressure; you stay cool when contradictions mount and stupidities multiply; you thrive on the commotion and get high amidst the agitation because you got the revelation. Say it again, "I got the revelation, not the religion." You see, great stories happen to those who can tell them convincingly because they are in touch with their buried feelings and expanding the consciousness. After all, you want to make your life "renversant", wouldn't you?

You begin to savor "this moment, this seed, this wave of the sea, this look, this instant of love" ( Muriel Rukeyser) when she walks past you by. And you run after her, saying,

"honey, don't you walk so fast
slow down, won't you
I want to savor the blast
the pleasure of walking slowly behind you
come on, baby, would you please slow down,
don't make feel me so blue"

She didn't say a fucking thing. Instead, she took off running like a damsel in distress. You stood in the path, stunned and incredulous, watching her gliding in the air and soon disappearing behind the bend in the road. You came home and wrote the following:

"She walked in beauty;
Her swaying hips sent me into ecstasy.
So I followed her from one city block to the next.
I felt I was being hexed.
She stopped at the traffic lights and looked back.
There I was, standing behind her, face reddened, feeling like a potato sack.
Then lo and behold, she smiled at me, her teeth glistened in the sun.
Emboldened, I softly said to her,
"Miss, has anybody ever told you that have very lovely buns?"
Flushed with embarrassment, she lowered her gaze and murmured "Yes"
I pressed on, "Really? I thought I was the only one with discerning eyes".
She then remarked that I was being sly.
I was fishing and fumbling for a reply
When the lights turned to green.
I walked next to her as we crossed the street.
I stuttered and stammered and sputtered against the rising heat,
"May I walk behind you for another five minutes?"
She put on a sparkling smile once more,
Dug into her purse and came out with a business card.
"Give me a call later this evening.
I hope you won't be a bore!"

(To be continued)

1 comment: