Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Knowledge, Power, and Freedom

I enjoyed the movie The Contender (2000) very much. The Senator and the Congressman in the movie were wonderful actors. I also like the quote delivered by Jeff Bridges. It resonated with me because I have plenty of pettiness and none of greatness. But it is not (political) power I am seeking. I am after knowledge which gives me a sense of liberation and freedom that Ifind more enjoyable than naked political power. On the other hand, I absolutely hate the notion that somebody would have power over me, forcing me do things I don't wish to do. In the final analysis, to have power over oneself-- on how to think critically, on how to live responsibly and meaningfully, gives a person, in my opinion, far greater joy than chasing political power unless one is committed to bringing good "things" to one's people when one achieves power.

No comments:

Post a Comment