Tuesday, August 18, 2009

There comes a time when it is indecent to live longer than one should.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I know by writing the way I do, I run a risk of incurring the wrath and enmity of some people, but I cannot live a life of a lie. I felt that I had to do something so I could sleep better at night. Death comes eventually to all of us. Sometimes one has to live life dangerously so that one earns the right to live. Sometimes one has to be a flame to light up other flames. And finally, there comes a time when it is indecent to live longer than one should.

The current situation in Vietnam brought to my mind the following words of Gabriel Marcel, a Catholic French thinker of existentialist persuasion:

“At the time of the 1956 uprising the Hungarians revolted violently because they could no longer bear the lies circulated by the official press. In other words, they found themselves in a situation where they saw the degraded condition their oppressors intended to reduce them to, and on the basis of this awareness they revolted…

Truth is truth only if it is recognized; and recognition involves a movement of attention in the direction of truth….The relationship between attention and freedom is very close…My attention is the measure of my freedom…”
(from Tragic Wisdom and Beyond, Northwestern University Press, 1973, p. xxxiii)

We need to pay more attention to Vietnam. We need to do something. The time to act is now.

Long live Vietnam! Viet Nam muon nam!

Wissai
June 30, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment