Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Tue Sy and Pham Cong Thien

 I have read only several poems written by TS and PCT. PCT, especially in comparison with TS. I have read only several poems written by both. And I think TS is a bigger man and has more artistic sensibilities. It's hard to lie through real poetry. Not only PCT was much less prolific, his poetry, though not entirely lacking merit in both idea and music, sounds forced and like an extension of his philosophical idea which he already had had put into prose. 

Regarding Buddhism, I am just a dilettante in that area, but I think if one is not careful, one's ego can get in the way to achieve liberation, no matter how talented and brilliant one thinks one is. I don't know if PCT was ever active in fighting against the VC's oppressive regime as TS was. But  between the two well-known Buddhist scholars and poets, I got an impression that TS had quiet strength and equanimity in dealing with the justified anger caused by the VC while PCT had anger on top of arrogance, but none of the quiet strength and dignity. Note that TS has remained a monk while PCT could not keep his monastic vows. He was married several times and had children. With PCT we had the issue of inspirational excess, like Nietzsche. However, one cannot remain indifferent when exposed to individuals like Nietzsche and PCT (or myself for that matter ). One either loves or hates them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment