Saturday, February 12, 2011

Meaningless Sound and Empty Fury

You woke up this morning and reached for your iPhone. Surely enough, as expected, various emails were awaiting you with their usual meaningless sound and empty fury. The thoughts contained therein were vapid and full of trite, worn-out stock phrases. There was not a singular originality displayed, a coherence assembled, or honesty detected. That reminded you of the time you showed your massive effort of writing a memoir to a friend. She got back to you after four days. Here was what she said:

"Roberto, the last four days were the most painful days of my life. I promised you I would read carefully of what you had written since you asked me to, and I am your friend. But I've got to tell you I suffered. Your words made me suffer. First, you should not call it a memoir. Just call it a novel and people would assume you were writing about yourself. Besides, by calling it a novel, your family and your friends wouldn't get upset or angry. Second, tell me what your purpose was in writing what you just did? To get a catharsis so you wouldn't go out and start shooting? To prove you could string words together in a foreign language? Or to leave an indelible mark, an unforgettable statement in this noisy world? If your aim was the last one, then you had failed, and you had failed miserably because I was not moved or transformed after reading your piece. Rather, boredom reigned supreme throughout my reading it. What you should have aimed for was to create a susurrant but persistent sound, a voice so fresh and haunting that the reader couldn't put it down. Also, the language employed had to be such that it read like poetry in prose, and magic in print, where words flowed, cascaded, and carried the reader from one wondrous moment to the next, without end until it was really over, and then he came back and read it all over again, savoring every sentence, every word on the page. He then wondered what you would look like and he wanted to know everything about you and what had driven you to write the way you did."

No comments:

Post a Comment