Sunday, August 8, 2010

Interpretations

Something happened. Every Dick, Tom, and Harry has his own theory why the event occurred. Each looked at the event from his own perspective built over the years on past similar events and his own hang-ups and values. Each insists that his interpretation is closest to the truth. But which theory/interpretation is correct? The principals who were involved had insider information and refused to talk. Outsiders only speculated and conveniently looked around for a scapegoat. They went from one household to another in the village and then settled their eyes on you and decided, that was him, he was the guilty one. What a fucking croak of shit! Where did you guys learn how to reason? Why the fuck I am the one who got the blame? You motherfuckers made me sick with your puerile, childish theories and reasonings. I had nothing to do with anything. I was in my own little hut, reading, drinking some beer and occasionally jerking off. All of the sudden, I heard the king decided to marry a commoner and settle in the land of his bride which is overseas and the country is now a republic and there might be some voting involved to choose a president. And do you fuckers really think I am that significant, that I had a bearing on what is going on in the land? You guys are out of your mind! Get the fuck out of my hurt, no, I meant hut and leave me alone. I am just a pathetic, whining, unpublished and unpublishable writer and poet. I am a failure. I am an hopeless braggart. Please, go away. I have not slept for days. And I have not paid my rent yet. Please, please go away, otherwise I have to call upon my old friends, Colt and Glock for help.

Guess what? They went away, but not for long. Two of them came back and insisted on having a real conversation with you. They said, this land used to be peaceful and free of strife. You might think we are frivolous, but we were fine and happy the way we were. We interacted amicably, until you emigrated to over here. We didn't know what planet you came from, but we took pity in you and even granted you citizenship. We though you were normal until you started talking and singing all hours. Don't you ever sleep? Your singing somehow got to the attention of the king. He ordered a surreptious recording of it. And then he listened to your horrible off-key voice, with the discordant melodies and strange lyrics. He became wacko and fell in love with a commoner. He now wants to settle overseas. We think he has become stir crazy all because of you. We want you to get back to your planet.

You listened to the speech, mouth open, and could not believe what you just heard. The world is gone mad. Or is it you?

You looked at them. You didn't say a word. You got up, and showed them the door. They looked at you with both sorrow and anger registered on their faces. You watched them walking slowly to their car. They got in. The driver honked the horn to get your attention, rolled down the window and gave you the bird, and floored the pedal. The car rocketed out of your driveway, left a burning rubber smell and whitish smoke wafting in the air.

You got inside your house and thought long and hard the nature of happiness. The two visitors said they were happy and carefree until you came along. Wow! You didn't know. If they were truthful with their account, then you would be cursed with this unhappiness with yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment